Payment Plans Available 305-876-6138

What Should I Do If My Ex Stops Paying Child Support?

If your ex suddenly stops paying child support, you should contact a family law attorney who can help you enforce the child support order. Your ex’s obligation to support the child(ren) you share in common isn’t optional; they must comply with the court order, and you can take action to enforce it when they don’t.

Enforcing a Child Support Order in Florida

Usually, the first step is to contact your local child support office through the Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) and file a complaint. This officially documents the nonpayment of child support and provides a springboard for further enforcement actions.

The DOR will work with you and your attorney to ensure that you are provided with the financial and medical support necessary for your children. Through the DOR, you can petition the court for appropriate means of action, such as income deduction orders, liens on property, tax refund interception, and other enforcement strategies.

If your ex’s nonpayment is particularly egregious or part of a larger pattern of behavior, jail time is another penalty they can incur. Additionally, nonpaying parents can become liable for the petitioning parent’s attorney fees, court costs, and other legal expenses incurred in pursuing an enforcement

Income Withholding Orders

If you wish to ensure that you’re receiving the child support your ex owes, an income withholding order can provide an effective solution. Upon ordering income withholding, your child support payments are garnished directly from your ex’s paycheck, usually their gross earnings.

Pursuing an income withholding order is one of the best ways you can rest assured that your child receives the financial support they need when their other parent has proven themselves reluctant to pay child support willingly.

Contact an Attorney to Begin the Enforcement Process

Beatriz Zyne, P.A. has extensive experience helping clients enforce child support orders in Florida. Our experienced attorney can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system and ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way. We can work with you to identify all available options for enforcement, including wage garnishment, property liens, and other legal remedies. We understand the financial and emotional impacts of a long-term child support dispute and are committed to helping you resolve your case in a manner that is in the best interests of you and your children.

For more information about how we can help, contact us online and request a consultation.