It’s easy to assume that when your legal issues concern your family, they will take on a more casual and laidback nature. Family lawyers specialize in legal matter concerning members of a family. In reality, family law issues concern some of the more difficult and important situations people can face in their lifetime. From divorce to estate planning, a family law attorney can serve as a representative, mediator, or legal counselor depending in a variety of situation.
5 Situations Where You Need a Family Lawyer
There are specific family situations where a specialty lawyer can act on your behalf to explain proceedings or serve as your legal representation. A family law attorney can provide mediation, legal planning, or even bring a spirit of fairness and calm to many family legal disputes.
- Divorce & Custody Issues: A divorce is the dissolution of a legal marriage, and for many families, it is an emotionally draining experience. It can also be fraught if there are mitigating circumstances leading to disagreement over children and finances. Because divorces are often emotional situations, many couples find it impossible to reach an agreement without third party assistance – no matter how much everyone may want to settle the matter.
- Estate Planning: Family needs will change as your family grows and changes. You may find that you need legal documents that reflect the goals and needs of your dynamic family arrangement. Family law attorneys are well versed in the requirements and goals typically seen when drafting estate plans.
- Legal Representation: Many family law disputes are handled outside of court, but for the matters that move into the court room, an attorney who specializes in the field may be better suited to strategize the details of your case.
- Custody Agreements: Custody agreements are important legal documents outlining how minor children will be cared should your marriage end. Making a place for children in each partner’s new life takes negotiation and concessions from both parties. This process isn’t always an easy one, so a family lawyer can help parents peacefully develop an agreement both parties can accept.
- Prenuptial Agreements: Prenuptial agreements are becoming more common because couples are getting marred older with more personal assets in place they want to protect. While each agreement is unique to the couple, they are consistent in their purpose of outlining property division if the marriage ends. Family lawyers typically handle divorces, so it’s logical that they would be well-versed in drafting prenuptial agreements.
Family Lawyers Serve an Important Role
These situations highlight the important role family lawyers play in many common events faced by families. A family law attorney can work to help families reach arrangements and avoid disputes where emotions may otherwise overtake negotiations.
Beatriz Zyne, P.A. can discuss your specific situation and work to develop a strategy. Call us now at (305) 876-6138 to schedule a consultation.